Your Step-by-Step Guide to Get Your New York State Medical Marijuana Certification
If you live in the State of New York and are curious about the therapeutic benefits of utilizing cannabis for your health, wellness, or pain-management it may be time to discuss your options with a doctor. Knowing where to start may be a little confusing, so we wanted to walk through the steps it will take to receive a New York State Medical Marijuana certification.
Qualifying conditions in the state of New York
As you may know, the State of New York has placed certain restrictions on conditions that qualify for medical marijuana (aka cannabis) to be used as a possible treatment option. You may be eligible for medical marijuana if you have been diagnosed with one or more of the following severe debilitating or life-threatening conditions:
- HIV infection or AIDS
- amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Parkinson’s disease
- multiple sclerosis
- spinal cord injury with spasticity
- inflammatory bowel disease
- Huntington’s disease
- post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- chronic pain (as defined by 10 NYCRR §1004.2(a)(8)(xi))
- pain that degrades health and functional capability as an alternative to opioid use or substance use disorder
The severe debilitating or life-threatening condition must also be accompanied by one or more of the following associated or complicating conditions:
- cachexia or wasting syndrome
- severe or chronic pain
- severe nausea
- Seizures or severe or persistent muscle spasms
- opioid use disorder
The start-to-finish process for obtaining a New York medical marijuana card
There are three main steps to the process of obtaining your medical marijuana card to utilize cannabis as medicine. A doctor’s visit, registering your certificate with the state, and visiting a dispensary or ordering online. You can choose to visit a doctor in person by checking the New York State list of certified doctors. If you prefer or require the convenience of seeing a doctor from the comfort of your home, a telemedicine appointment through Heally may be the best option for you.
Through Heally’s secure, online, HIPAA-compliant platform, you can connect with a certified doctor from the State of New York to discuss cannabis as an option. If the doctor determines you are not a good candidate to utilize cannabis through the Heally platform, your visit will be free of charge.
Be sure to complete step 1 before you create an account with the State of New York. You will need your certificate from the doctor before you can register. If this is done out of order, you may create a duplicate account, which could delay the process.
Step 1: Speak with a doctor to get your certification
- Create your Heally login and fill out the HIPPA-secure intake form.
- Choose a time to meet & discuss your health with a doctor (this can be immediately, or at a future time and date).
- If the doctor believes cannabis could be a beneficial treatment, you will be granted a certificate for medical marijuana use. Your certificate is instantly accessible and is stored in your Heally patient portal.
Step 2: Register for your ID card
- Once you receive your certificate in your patient portal, you must register with the State of New York. Instructions are included with your certificate, or for step-by-step instructions on how to create a My.NY.gov account, click here for instructions.
- When you register with the State of New York, patients are allowed to register up to two caregivers. These caregivers must then also register with the state using the same application process to be granted access.
- Once a patient and/or caregiver’s registration is approved, the Department will issue a temporary registry identification card through the My.NY.gov account which may be used in conjunction with a government-issued photo identification to purchase approved medical marijuana products while the patient/caregiver awaits his/her registry identification card (ID card) in the mail.
Step 3: Purchase medical cannabis
While you wait for your state-issued ID card, you may purchase CBD products for delivery through the Heally Marketplace. When you (or your caregiver) are ready to purchase your plant medicine at a dispensary, be sure to bring your registry ID card, certification, and ID. Choosing the right products depends on your desired effects, but thankfully, the Heally blog has many articles discussing products and strains that may help you with your specific needs. If you are unsure about your product options, check out this guide on products allowed in New York State.
A few last things to know about the process
You must be a resident of New York to receive certification and register for the program. Patients will be required to provide proof of their identity and residency during the application process. Click here for additional information regarding required documentation.
Typically, the Compassionate Care Act requires a $50 application fee; however, this fee is currently being waived for all patients and their designated caregivers. Registrations expire when the certification that was issued by the practitioner expires. A New York cannabis card is valid for one year, renewed annually. Patient and caregivers must re-register each time a new certification number is issued.
If you are a New York resident and would like to speak with a doctor to determine if cannabis is right for you, create your login today.
By Bri Smith
This website is informational and cannot diagnose or treat illness or disease. Medical marijuana aka cannabis should be used under the direction of a licensed healthcare provider. This site is intended for adults and legal medical marijuana patients. This site contains links to products we sell on our marketplace.
How does Heally work?
Creating an account is easy, free, and safe in our HIPAA compliant platform. Visit with a doctor from the comfort of your home or on the go using your cell phone or computer. No appointment is necessary. If the physician thinks cannabis is right for your health and wellness goals, they will discuss treatment options and will grant you a downloadable certification document. Heally’s Telehealth platform currently serves California, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, and Ohio with medical recommendations. Please note there’s no charge if the doctor doesn’t believe the video visit meets her or his standard of care. If you do not live in a medically legal state and would like access to CBD products, visit the Marketplace. Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com