Get a marijuana card online in New York
Meet with a certified doctor online and get your medical marijuana card in NY!
Speak with a doctor today or schedule an appointment to get your medical marijuana card. Heally connects you with a physician safely & securely through our HIPAA-compliant telehealth platform. Your New York medical marijuana card is just a click away. Schedule an appointment now.
How to get a medical marijuana card in New York
Speak to certified marijuana doctors any time between 8 AM and 10 PM, any day of the week. You’ll never have to wait for an appointment because everything can be done online — all you need is a cell phone or a computer!
Check your qualifying conditions in New YorkYou may qualify for a New York medical marijuana card if your certifying health care provider deems it clinically appropriate.
Register with Heally to apply for cannabis cardSimply fill out our quick intake form to apply for a NY medical marijuana card.
Visit an online consultation with cannabis doctorBook an appointment with a certified medical marijuana doctor. You can meet with a doctor immediately or schedule an appointment later at your convenience.
Get Your MMJ in New YorkYour appointment will generally take about 15 minutes. Once you receive your medical marijuana card in NY, all you need to do is visit the dispensary or pharmacy of your choice.
Hear What Our Patients
Have to Say
Talk to a Doctor Online Today
Video conference with your certified
physician completely online, from
the comfort of your home.
Book your appointment now!
How does Heally help get MMIC in New York
If you’re wondering how to get your medical marijuana card in NY, Heally can help. Simply sign up on our website and we’ll connect you with a licensed marijuana doctor. Your doctor will promptly evaluate your condition and discuss potential treatment options. If you and your physician determine medical marijuana is right for you, they’ll supply a certification that can then be used at a local dispensary.
The New York Medical Marijuana Card renewal process can be done 100% online.
Qualifying conditions for getting MMJ card in New York
Any condition the doctor deems apporpriate is a qualifying condition to get a marijuana card in New York. The list below are some examples of conditions that have been used in the past to qualify for medical cannabis:
- HIV infection or AIDS
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Parkinson's disease
- Multiple sclerosis
- Spinal cord injury with spasticity
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Huntington's disease
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Pain that degrades health and functional capability as an alternative to opioid use
- Substance use disorder
- Muscular dystrophy
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Any other condition, at the discretion of your health care provide
State process for obtaining marijuana card in New York
- Download the PDF certificate from your patient dashboard on Heally
- Login to the New York State website https://my.ny.gov/. If you do NOT have an NY.gov account then you will need to click the "Don't have an Account?" button to create a personal NY.gov ID first.
- Follow the prompts to create a personal account
- Remember that the answers to secret questions and your password is case-sensitive
- Save your user ID and your password in a safe place
- Click Logout and close the browser. Your MY.NY.gov account is created.
- Go to MY.NY.gov and log in to your personal account.
- Confirm that you are logged into the correct account.
- Click on the "Health Applications" icon.
- Click on the link to the Medical Cannabis Data Management System (MCDMS) link.
- Select the “Start New Registration” button.
- Follow the steps to register.
- Note: Please log in using only 1 browser and make sure you do not have multiple tabs/ windows open with the same MY.NY.gov webpage, as this may cause errors.
- Once a patient or caregiver’s registration is approved, the Department will issue a temporary registry identification card through the My.NY.gov account which may be used in conjunction with a government-issued photo identification to purchase cannabis while the patient/caregiver awaits his/her registry identification card (ID card) in the mail.
- Registrations expire when the certification that was issued by the practitioner expires.
- Patients and caregivers must re-register each time a new certification number is issued.
- Patients and caregivers must re-register every time a new certification number is issued. Patients must bring their registry ID cards and their certifications to a registered organization's dispensing facility in order to purchase approved medical marijuana products. Caregivers must bring their registry ID cards and their patient certifications to a registered organization's dispensing facility in order to purchase approved medical marijuana products on behalf of their patients.
Additional patient registration instructions can be found
Caregiver registration instructions can be found here.
Not sure if you qualify? Don't worry, if the doctor does
not approve you, you will get your money back.
How Much Does a New York Medical Marijuana Card Cost?
Your cannabis card certification will cost $149 for the year, and you only have to pay if you’re approved by a doctor! Once you have received approval from a physician, you must pay the $50 fee to receive the card. However, the fee is currently being waived for all patients and caregivers.
What Supporting Documents Do I Need Before Starting?
A signed certification from your physician on Heally. Photo ID or Driver's license. Proof of New York State residency, if using an out of state ID or Passport. A birth certificate, if you’re under 18.
How Much Medical Marijuana Can I Purchase in NY?
In New York, patients can purchase a supply of up to 60 days of medical marijuana. This amount is determined by the physician or pharmacist.
Is It Legal to Get My NY Medical Marijuana Card Online?
New York’s State Senate Bill 2405 allows patients to speak with qualified medical professionals online about the potential use of marijuana. Due to this change, it is now legal for patients to receive their New York medical marijuana card online.
If Approved by Heally, How Do I Register for the State of NY Medical Marijuana Program?
After becoming certified to participate in New York’s medical marijuana program, you must register on the state’s website to receive your official New York medical marijuana card.
How Long Does It Take to Get a Medical Marijuana Card in NY?
As soon as your application is approved, you’ll be given a temporary card that is valid for up to 30 days. You should receive the permanent card in the mail about seven to ten days after the date of approval.
Do I Need a Physical Medical Marijuana Card?
Yes, you will receive a physical medical marijuana card that will be mailed to you once you are approved.
Does New York Have Medical Marijuana Reciprocity?
No, New York does not offer medical marijuana reciprocity. Out-of-state medical marijuana cards are not recognized. If you wish to obtain medical marijuana in New York, you need to get a New York medical marijuana card.
What to Do After You Receive Your New York Cannabis Card
New York is the state that has it all. Whether you’re looking to have a night on the town in the City that Never Sleeps or a relaxing getaway Upstate surrounded by gorgeous nature, you surely won’t be disappointed with what New York has to offer!
Located in scenic Upstate New York, Buffalo is full of history and charm for all to enjoy. Witness the stunning architecture this city has to offer by visiting the gorgeous Darwin D. Martin House and strolling through the streets of this delightful city. Enjoy the wonderful greenery by exploring Buffalo’s Botanical Gardens and walking along the Erie Basin Marina. If you’re up for an adventure, take a day trip to witness the beautiful Niagara Falls. You’ll certainly have a blast!
New York City
In the Big Apple, there is always something to do. Explore this magnificent city by walking the streets of this bustling town and exploring the shops of Soho, East Village, Upper West Side, and so much more. Visit the many piers all over the city, especially those in Brooklyn where you can get stunning views of the Manhattan skyline. Finish up your day in the city by dining in one of many Micheline-Star restaurants or by grabbing a slice of pizza at Joe’s. Whatever you do, you’re bound to have a great time when you have your NY medical marijuana card.
Known for its rich culture in history, music, and art, Rochester is a city full of things to do once you have your New York medical marijuana card. Immerse yourself in Rochester’s gorgeous greenery by visiting Highland Park, the Ontario Beach Park, and the Genesee Lighthouse. If you’re there in the spring, going to the Lilac Festival is an absolute must! Learn about Rochester’s history by visiting its acclaimed music venues and museums.
Marijuana laws in New York
In 2014 the state of New York legalized the use and possession of medical marijuana for qualifying individuals. More recently in 2021, the state also passed a law legalizing the use of marijuana for recreational purposes for all individuals ages 21+. New York also became one of the first states in the nation to explicitly prohibit employers from testing individuals for the use of marijuana. Although the use of marijuana for both recreational and medical purposes is legal in New York, it will take some time before individuals find recreational marijuana dispensaries within their local communities. Some predict that more recreational marijuana dispensaries will open throughout 2022 or 2023. However, medical marijuana dispensaries are operating all across the state for those who qualify for a NY medical marijuana card and are in need of natural treatments. In New York, marijuana can be consumed in the form of flower, vaporizer, edible, pre-roll, tincture, extract, and topicals.
Read about medical cannabis cards in New York
How to Get a Medical Marijuana Card in New York
Learn everything you need to know to get a medical marijuana card in NY, including qualifying conditions, finding a physician, and completing your application.
New York Doctors Can Now Recommend Medical Marijuana to Any Patient
Read how the list of qualifying conditions in New York has been expanded so doctors can recommend medical marijuana to more patients!
The 5 Types of Legal Cannabis in New York
Learn about the 5 types of cannabis that are available to patients in the state of New York and where to buy cannabis products in NY.
This information was reviewed by Dr. Krasne
Dr. Benjamin Krasne is a board-certified anesthesiologist. After attending the University of Florida, Dr. Ben matriculated to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Dr. Krasne completed his residency at Jackson Memorial Hospital in 2017. Since graduating residency Dr. Krasne has worked throughout the United States as a traveling anesthesiologist while providing remote driven out-patient clinical services as well.Last update: 05/17/2023