Last Updated on September 27, 2022 by heally
There are different types of headaches, but a migraine is widely considered the worst. A migraine is capable of debilitating a person due to the intense pain it causes. More than 90% of people who suffer from migraines cannot work or perform their daily routines when having a migraine. Shockingly, 12% of the U.S. population, including children, suffers from migraine headaches. Fortunately, natural remedies like CBD for migraines can help alleviate suffering for many people.
Symptoms of Migraines
A migraine headache consists of throbbing head pain, which occurs mostly on one side of the head and can also be accompanied by nausea and light sensitivity. Migraines may last anywhere from 4 to 72 hours.
Causes and Triggers of Migraines
There is still uncertainty about the causes of migraines. Some think it may be hereditary, and current findings suggest that migraines are triggered inside the brain. Migraines seem to occur when the body’s threshold for pain signaling is lowered due to inflammatory agents. Of all the triggers, environmental and hormonal are the most likely to initiate the onset.
Treatment For Migraines
Many doctors will prescribe pharmaceutical drugs to treat migraine headaches; however, some can have unwanted side effects. Fortunately, we now have natural remedies for migraines, including herbal supplements and cannabidiol (CBD).
Facts About CBD For Migraines
- CBD is derived from the cannabis Sativa plant.
- The cannabis Sativa plant contains 120 substances, and CBD is an isolated extract of one of them.
- CBD is a natural substance that is commonly used to elicit relaxation and a sense of calm within the mind and body.
- Unlike another related chemical compound called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD is NOT psychoactive, which means you will not get “high” from taking CBD.
- CBD comes in many forms.
- CBD is legal and available both online and over the counter. It does not require an exclusive license to purchase.
- CBD can even help pets.
Health Benefits of CBD
Our bodies have endocannabinoid receptors, called CB1 and CB2 already in place, CBD interacts with these receptors, which are found throughout the central and peripheral nervous system to help reduce inflammation and pain. This intricate pathway is referred to as the endocannabinoid system.
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a regulatory system made up of naturally occurring cannabis-like molecules. The ECS helps maintain homeostasis, a balance within the body. Activating this system can also influence our immune system.
There are a wide range of health benefits from using CBD for migraines and other conditions, including:
- Inflammation – Cannabinoids suppress the inflammatory response and may also be beneficial in helping specific types of cancers that can be triggered by chronic inflammation.
- Nausea – CBD has strong antiemetic properties.
- Anxiety – CBD helps to reduce anxiety due to its effect on the limbic and paralimbic systems within the brain.
- Pain – CBD may help prevent the body from metabolizing anandamide. Anandamide is the compound associated with the regulation of pain. So, having higher levels of anandamide in the body may reduce feelings of discomfort.
CBD for Migraine
In a 2019 review, it was suggested that CBD might have a substantial role in alleviating the pain associated with migraines. The effects of CBD and the causes of migraines overlap in significant ways.
- CBD also suppresses the release of specific proteins that are linked to pain caused by inflammation.
- CBD may also help relieve the onset and duration of a migraine by soothing the pain and photoreceptors firing within the brain.
There are many reasons to take CBD for migraines, including:
- Natural – CBD is not a pharmaceutically-engineered drug that often comes with harmful side effects and potential adverse drug interactions.
- Safe – CBD does not alter body temperature, blood pressure, or heart rate.
- Non-Addictive – Unlike some pharmaceutical drugs, CBD is non-habit forming and does not cause substance addiction, like opioids.
- Easy-to-Use – There are a multitude of CBD products available, many of which are fast-acting for quick relief.
The most effective form of CBD for migraines is full-spectrum. This type of structure means that all naturally-occurring cannabinoids are together, increasing potency and boosting the overall effect.
Migraine And CBD Treatment Methods
- The fastest way to get relief is from CBD flowers or vaping.
- Inhaling CBD can help soothe inflammation and relieve pounding headaches.
- There are even disposable vape pens, which are portable and convenient.
- The effects of inhaling CBD occur within 20 minutes and can last for 2-5 hours.
- A popular and efficient way to get CBD benefits for migraines is tincture oils, capsules, powders, and edibles.
- Tincture oils are taken under the tongue and held for about one minute before swallowing.
- Capsules, powders, and edibles are ingested.
- All these methods will take about 30-60 minutes to take full effect and will last around 6-8 hours.
- Another sought-after way is CBD topicals.
- CBD topicals are used for localized pain and skin conditions.
- Topicals are very easy to apply, as they are gently rubbed into the skin.
- You can apply the CBD topical directly to the part of your head that is experiencing migraine pain.
At Heally’s online store, you will find a vast assortment of products containing CBD for migraines. We pride ourselves on our high-quality premium full-spectrum blend of CBD products that are all third-party tested.
With our extensive CBD product choices, deciding on what to pick may be a challenge, but you can always talk to an expert at Heally or email us at email@example.com with any questions or concerns. We are here to help with your pain-free journey.
No one should have to suffer from the debilitating pain caused by migraines. Thankfully, there are options available that don’t produce harmful side effects and won’t get you addicted. Your body is even designed to receive these options through a unique endocannabinoid system! CBD and migraines can be a match made in heaven for many sufferers.
Start living pain-free easily and naturally with CBD for migraines today!