Attention deficit disorder (ADD) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) impact the lives of many Americans on a daily basis. ADD more commonly affects school-aged children but also affects approximately 4.4% of the current adult population. Due to the vast number of people affected by these conditions, it makes sense that we need good holistic alternatives for ADD to ensure everyone can live a healthy and happy life. It’s important to understand these conditions to know what needs to be done to treat them more effectively.
Researchers have found that ADD consists of three subtypes.
- Predominantly inattentive type
- Predominantly combined type
- Predominantly hyperactive-impulsive type
These subtypes demonstrate that some people with ADD have no trouble sitting still but will lack attentiveness, which makes staying focused on tasks or activities more difficult.
Others who experience ADD may have no problem paying attention to an undertaking or job, but because they are hyperactive and impulsive, they will have difficulty sitting still.
Of the three, the combined type is the most prevalent, and symptoms include being hyperactive, inattentive, and impulsive.
Causes of ADD/ADHD
The exact cause is unknown; however, genetics seem to play a significant role in the development of ADD. Other potential causes may include exposure to alcohol or cigarette smoke in-utero, which can increase the risk of developing ADD/ADHD.
Alternatives for ADD/ADHD
The usual treatment choice for ADD includes pharmaceutical drugs such as Ritalin and Adderall, both of which are stimulants and can have unpleasant side effects, as well as being addictive. These drugs are believed to help correct the levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter in the brain.
Medical cannabis for ADHD is an excellent solution because it is believed to have the same impact on dopamine but without the adverse side effects.
Some other powerful medicinal benefits of medical cannabis alternatives for ADD include:
- Helping to focus and pay attention to a specific subject or task
- Opening the creative part of the mind to form new ideas that could not be achieved before
History of Medical Cannabis
Cannabis is a plant-based product that dates as far back as 5,000 years ago. Over time, modern medical research has supported the remarkable medicinal properties and unique benefits it offers in treating a multitude of ailments.
Today, more and more physicians are finding this unique botanical alternative for ADD to be highly effective, but what exactly is cannabis, and how does it work?
Main Components of Medical Cannabis
- CBD – This is the “non-psychoactive compound” that will NOT make you “high.”
- CBD is often used to help reduce inflammation and pain
- Other conditions CBD can help relieve are migraines, seizures, and anxiety
- THC – This is the main psychoactive component that WILL make you feel “high.”
- THC is often used to help with nausea, especially for those going through chemotherapy treatment,
- Other conditions THC can help include insomnia and muscle spasms.
There are alternatives for ADD that contain only CBD, THC, or a combination of both, which are called hybrids.
How Medical Cannabis Works With The Body
Medical cannabis for ADHD/ADD works directly with the body’s natural cannabinoid receptors, also called endocannabinoids. There are two primary receptors, CB1 and CB2.
- CB1 – These receptors are found in very high levels in several regions of the brain as well as throughout the rest of the body, and they mediate the psychoactive effects of cannabinoids.
- CB2 – These receptors are mostly found in the immune cells and assist in reducing inflammation.
Signs and Symptoms of ADD/ADHD
Medical cannabis is an excellent alternative for ADD because of how effectively it alleviates various symptoms, including:
- Insomnia – The THC component helps to slow the brain down to help induce a sense of sleepiness.
- Panic attacks – At lower doses, THC deconditions the CB1 receptors to help create a sense of calm.
- Depression – When THC binds to the CB1 receptors, serotonin is then released, which helps increase happiness and decrease the negative emotions associated with depression.
- Hyper-impulsive behavior – The CB1 receptors, when activated, will decrease and balance out the neuronal activity to help produce a calming effect. Some examples of behavior that may be affected include:
- Trouble behaving in social settings; for example, not being able to sit still
- Talking over or interrupting others
- Acting spontaneously or recklessly without regard for the consequences
- Anxiety – CBD works as a breakthrough alternative for ADD because it acts as an anti-anxiety agent by binding to the CB2 receptors.
- Hyperactivity or restlessness – Both CB1 and CB2 may help to regulate hyperactivity disorder, including mitigating the following symptoms:
- Feeling agitation and racing thoughts
- Trouble sitting still and constant fidgeting
- Easily bored tending to take risks that may lead to negative consequences
- Hyper-sensitivity to stressful situations – Cannabis for ADHD contains both CBD and THC, which may help relieve anxiety and fear. This can help resolve the following challenges:
- Easily flustered or stressed
- Hypersensitive to criticism
- Difficulty staying motivated
- Lack of focus – THC may help slow down overactivity within the brain, such as:
- Being easily distracted by trivial activities
- Having too many thoughts at once and struggling to follow a coherent train of thought
- Struggling to complete even simple tasks
Other Benefits of Medical Cannabis
Medical cannabis is truly one of the most effective alternatives for ADD. If you are taking prescribed pharmaceutical medications for ADD, you could benefit from switching to medical cannabis. Pharmaceuticals come with a host of harmful side effects, including decreased appetite and nausea. Medical cannabis can improve these symptoms as follows:
- Stimulates appetite – When taking prescribed medications such as Adderall, there may be a marked decrease in appetite, but medical cannabis actually boosts your hunger.
- Combats nausea – Feeling queasy is yet another nasty side effect to some prescribed medications, but medical cannabis is exceptionally beneficial for nausea.
- Regulates mood changes – Due to medical cannabis helping to release dopamine, moods are easily regulated.
Finding Peace Instead of Panic
At Heally, we help you find peace by offering a vast array of holistic supplements and alternatives for ADD, including medical cannabis. We have highly-trained doctors that are ready to answer all your questions and concerns and guide you to the best products for your particular concerns.
Sign up to speak to a licensed physician and get started on your path to health and happiness. Get natural cannabis for ADHD, and begin the journey toward a more joyous life today!
How does Heally work?
Creating an account is easy, free, and safe in our HIPAA compliant platform. Visit with a doctor from the comfort of your home or on the go using your cell phone or computer. More and more people around the globe are being infected and with cases now on the rise here in the US, we need to do our part to stop the spread of this virus. For $39 – Connect to a doctor who can discuss your symptoms and provide recommendations for next steps. No appointment is necessary. Questions? Contact us at email@example.com