Last Updated on September 27, 2022 by heally
When people research skincare routines and anti-aging products, they find plenty of talk about collagen. Ask people what the secret to ageless skin is and most would tell you collagen, but they probably couldn’t tell you why.
What is collagen exactly? What does it do? This guide answers these questions and more, including how CBD oil anti-aging products and other cannabinoids play an active role in anti-aging, skincare, and potentially collagen production.
The Body’s Building Blocks
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the human body. It’s responsible for many different types of tissue. Collagen is just as important in bones as it is in tendons and, yes, the skin.
Collagen can be thought of as the glue that holds everything together. The fibrous strands of collagen molecules, known as fibrils, create connective tissues. They can be harder than steel, but they also give skin its elasticity.
The human body produces its own collagen. As people age, collagen production slows down. This affects the skin’s elasticity, leading to sagging and wrinkles. The lower rate of collagen production in older people can also affect bone health. Since collagen is important to many tissues, it’s used in its repair.
Exposure to UV rays, smoking, and other activities can slow collagen production. Diet also plays a role.
Need a Fix? Call Collagen
Collagen produced in the body is endogenous. However, it is possible to introduce collagen from outside sources as well. This exogenous collagen can assist in tissue repair. For example, a collagen dressing can be used to attract new skin cells to a cut and speed healing.
Some cosmetic procedures use collagen injections, they can be used to improve the appearance of scars or to reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
Collagen supplements help people with osteoarthritis by improving joint functioning. The collagen accumulates in the cartilage around the joints, easing symptoms of pain. With CBD oil anti-aging products and other natural supplements, you naturally speed up the production of collagen, helping you soothe the body from pain.
This protein has also been used in tissue grafts and prosthetics for the vascular system.
The right foods can prevent collagen loss or give collagen production a little boost. A healthy diet also protects against nutrient deficiencies, which can cause rashes and other skin changes. Keep a lookout for these Anti-aging foods.
- Vitamin C does more than just fight colds. It helps with collagen production. Be sure to add peppers, strawberries and other high-C produce to your daily diet.
- Vitamin A, or retinol, can also stimulate collagen production. It’s also useful for treating acne. Find it in animal-derived foods, or colorful fruits and veggies (like carrots).
- Copper is a metal vital to human health in small amounts. It’s key to synthesizing skin proteins like collagen. Find it in shellfish, nuts and red meat.
- Proline is a nutrient that can boost skin elasticity. It’s found mostly in animal products like egg whites, meat, and cheese, but soy and cabbage are also good sources.
- Anthocyanins are plant pigments that assist in the production of collagen and elastin. They produce red, purple and blue colors. Find them in blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries.
Collagen itself can be used as a supplement. It’s often sold as a powder and can be added to smoothies or baked goods. Gummies can also be infused with collagen, as well as anti-aging CBD oil.
Herbs & Skin
Some herbs help clarify skin and brighten it. As people age, the skin becomes thinner and loses elasticity, but it also loses pigment cells. This can lead to dull skin. To protect your skin, you can rely on these ingredients, as well as your favorite CBD oil anti-aging creams.
- Turmeric is noted for its anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and antioxidant effects. It can help clarify the skin, especially in cases of common skin ailments like acne.
- Stinging nettle leaf is a powerful antioxidant, which can help keep skin healthy and youthful. It also helps control inflammation.
- Probiotics can also help by increasing immune functioning and boosting antioxidants, which can prevent premature aging.
- Plants like aloe vera are sources of Vitamin E, another antioxidant that can help skin stay healthy. One study showed it could decrease damage done by UV rays.
Protecting the Skin You’re in
Improving collagen production is one way to help skin stay youthful-looking. Taking steps to protect the skin is also important.
- Avoid getting sunburned, since it can cause loss of elasticity and pigment changes
- Wear protective clothing and a hat when needed
- Use a high-quality sunscreen, even in the winter
- Avoid smoking
Staying hydrated is also important since it reduces the risk of skin injury. Keeping skin hydrated with moisturizers can also help preserve its youthfulness.
THC also has anti-inflammatory properties, which helps fight the signs of aging.
For those who are concerned about smoking’s effect on the skin and collagen, vaping is a good alternative. This cartridge features a high CBD to THC ratio in an easy to use package.
This tincture features a 3:1 CBD to THC ratio. Both cannabinoids help soothe inflammation, which can contribute to aging. It’s a great choice among top CBD oil anti-aging products.
An Ounce of Prevention
The right holistic health regime can help people protect their health. Talk to a doctor and discover how anti-aging and cannabis could be part of your healthier lifestyle.
Medical marijuana aka cannabis should be used under the direction of a licensed healthcare provider. This site is intended for adults and legal medical marijuana patients. This site contains links to products we sell on our marketplace.
How does Heally work?
Creating an account is easy, free, and safe in our HIPAA compliant platform. Visit with a doctor from the comfort of your home or on the go using your cell phone or computer. No appointment is necessary. If the physician thinks cannabis is right for your health and wellness goals, they will discuss treatment options and will grant you a downloadable certification document. Heally’s Telehealth platform currently serves California, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, and Ohio with medical recommendations. Please note there’s no charge if the doctor doesn’t believe the video visit meets her or his standard of care.