Sex. It’s a simple, instinctual action that becomes quite intricate with human consciousness, emotion, environmental factors, and individual biology. But let’s be clear, not everyone has the easiest time heating things up in the bedroom, and many different factors may influence that. It can be hard to know how to improve libido! Alongside lifestyle changes, some holistic options may help to spark the flame again. As more and more people learn about the benefits of cannabis, one topic has resurfaced with a lot of curiosity. If cannabis is helpful in regards to pain and can create a feeling of euphoria, can it also enhance sex? The answer isn’t the same for everyone, but research suggests that marijuana and libido can interact powerfully to affect sex in a few ways that surpass enhancement.
What are some of the underlying causes of a low-functioning libido?
Men and women experience varying underlying causes for low libido and may be aroused by different things. The good news is that new research points to cannabinoids as a possible solution for how to improve libido and the underlying causes of low libido.
For many men, low testosterone may be at the root of Erectile Dysfunction and low libido. Low testosterone and libido are impacted by:
- Stress It’s been well documented that stress takes a massive hit to our system and brain, but did you know it can also deliver a kick to the…you know what? One study on stress in males suggests that stress can directly affect the hypothalamic-pituitary-gonadal (HBG) axis, impairing communication between the brain and testicles.
- Poor sleep We may sound like a broken record, but the research doesn’t lie. Sleep is critical for the proper function of the systems in our bodies. Men with poor sleep habits are more likely to have lower testosterone and may struggle with low libido.
- Nutrient deficiencies Nutrition is critical for optimal hormone production. Zinc, in particular, has powerful testosterone-boosting abilities. Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the human body and is essential for hundreds of necessary pathways, including testosterone optimization. Studies had shown that when people were given 250 mg of zinc a day for six weeks, their testosterone levels increased. Note: when paired with exercise, these supplements boost testosterone even more.
Some women want to know how to improve libido as they experience low libido tied to low or dropping androgen levels. The causes of low androgen levels vary, but typically aging causes a drop in testosterone (one type of androgen), causing low libido or sexual desire. Other hormonal and reproductive syndromes can also impact libido, such as:
- Low Iron– If you are low in iron, it may dim libido, desire, arousal, lubrication, and the ability to have an orgasm. If you start an iron regimen, ensure you have discussed the proper amount with a doctor, as an abundance of iron could also be detrimental to health.
- The onset of Menopause – Low sex drive and vaginal dryness are two common symptoms experienced by some women during the transition to menopause, making sex uncomfortable or painful, both of which make it harder to know how to improve libido.
- Hypothalamic Amenorrhoea – The loss of menstrual periods in a woman of reproductive age is called Hypothalamic Amenorrhoea. This occurrence could be caused by various factors such as stress, extreme weight loss, or excessive exercise. This condition lowers the ovarian production of hormones, including androgens, which can result in low libido.
Androgen deficiency symptoms: Your doctor may need to assess you for these conditions:
- hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
- iron-deficiency anemia
- autoimmune disease
How to improve libido with holistic methods, foods, and supplements
Although we typically associate estrogen with women and testosterone with men, both hormones are produced in different amounts in both men and women. An enzyme called aromatase converts testosterone in men into estrogen in a process called aromatization. When “over-aromatization” occurs, too much testosterone is converted, leaving an imbalance of estrogen. If this is happening in your body (find out in consultation with a doctor) try these superfoods that could help to inhibit aromatase:
- Black or Green Tea
- Red Ginger
Alongside these aromatase-inhibiting foods, THC can also increase the effectiveness of aromatase inhibitors. In a small study, women who were struggling with low sexual desire consumed an herb called Tribulus Terrestris (or puncture vine) for four weeks. They experienced an improvement in arousal, lubrication, orgasm, and had less pain during sex. Other foods and supplements that may help women improve libido include:
- Maca (or Peruvian Ginseng)
- Ginkgo Biloba
- Dark chocolate
What lifestyle changes help to improve libido?
- Exercise – Studies have shown that exercise can increase testosterone by 250% in men and increases libido and sex drive in women. Specific activities like yoga significantly improved all sections of the Female Sexual Function Index: desire, arousal, lubrication, orgasm, satisfaction, and pain. If you’re wondering how to improve libido, getting active can be a great place to start!
- Diet – Foods that are known to stimulate and support processes in your body (like the release of hormones) are often also related to sexual performance and pleasure. Nutrition is vitally important in maintaining a healthy weight and keeping hormones balanced.
- Include cannabis in your sexual routine – In a study in the Journal of Sex Research, cannabis was shown to increase sexual pleasure, desire, and frequency among participants. Over two-thirds reported increased sexual pleasure with the use of cannabis, so marijuana and libido go hand in hand.
How to improve libido and muscle relaxation with CBD products
Arcanum CBD massage oil One product we love is the Sports massage oil activated hemp moisturizer. This oil spray is great for all skin types and is intended to facilitate muscle recovery and soothe aches and pains for immediate localized relief. Soothe muscle soreness, discomfort, overuse, irritation with a calming massage, and soak in CBD’s benefits. This product is Paraben-Free, Sulfate-Free, Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten and Nut-Free and Made in the USA.
Select CBD Relax Capsules If you’re looking to wind down from a long day to relax and enjoy your partner, try the Select CBD Relax capsules to enjoy marijuana and an increased libido. Relax is formulated to be the perfect blend of CBD and effect-specific terpenes. When paired together, they work harmoniously to deliver a gentle experience. Elixinol CBD Oil Liposomes
Elixinol CBD Oil Liposomes was explicitly designed to be absorbed into your body faster than ever. Liposomes are carriers of hemp oil – they ensure it can pass through the body’s membranes with ease and absorb the cannabinoids. Liposomal CBD can be mixed with water or taken directly under the tongue as a spray. This product is made with full-spectrum organic hemp, extracted with CO2, no isolated or synthetic cannabinoids.
How to improve libido and enhance sex with THC products
Foria Pleasure Lubricant Delivered in 100% organic-certified coconut MCT oil, the Foria Pleasure lubricant was formulated with women in mind. This lubricant aims to enhance tactile sensations while decreasing tension, discomfort, and dryness. Although it has been formulated for women, both partners will feel the excitement of marijuana and libido enhancement when utilizing an infused lubricant. Those who have used this product have reported enhanced access to orgasm and more profound orgasms.
Papa & Barkley Releaf Body Oil The Papa & Barkley Releaf Body Oil is excellent for a gentle and soothing massage to connect you and your partner. This 100% Natural formulation with a 1:3 CBD: THC ratio leverages essential oils to relax the senses and help deliver cannabinoids into the skin. KIVA 1:1 Ginger Dark Chocolate Edible
The Kiva Ginger Dark Chocolate handcrafted bar offers a 1:1 ratio of CBD to THC for a calm and relaxing effect. This balanced combination is delivered in a delicious dark chocolate bar, which naturally contains phenylethylamine (the same compound our body makes when we are in love), mixed with ginger, which is known to improve circulation. Remember to be aware of your dose when considering how to improve libido with marijuana, because too much can deliver the opposite of your desired effects.
1906 High Love Edible Some say the aphrodisiac qualities of cannabis seem to occur in low to moderate doses mainly, and in high doses, can have the opposite effect. High Love has been optimized to be low-dose, rapid delivery, and contains the bonus of five plant medicines for sensuality, including Damiana, Catuaba, theobromine, Ashwagandha, and Muira Puama (known as the “Viagra of the Amazon”).
The last key to bliss in the bedroom?
Above all else, remember that open communication with your partner is the key to staying aligned and vulnerable in the bedroom, which is crucial in learning how to improve libido. If you plan on utilizing cannabis to enhance your pleasure, gain consent from your partner to ensure they are ready for the experience. After all, improving your libido with marijuana should be a “joint” experience. And like all suggested lifestyle, diet, and supplement changes, be sure to discuss them with a doctor first. Knowing and understanding your biology is crucial in making the correct changes that will benefit your overall health and increase your libido. By Bri Smith, This website is informational and cannot diagnose or treat illness or disease. Medical marijuana, aka cannabis, should be used under the direction of a licensed healthcare provider. This site is intended for adults and legal, medical marijuana patients. This site contains links to products we sell on our marketplace.
How does Heally work?
Creating an account is easy, free, and safe in our HIPAA compliant platform. Visit with a doctor from the comfort of your home or on the go using your cell phone or computer, no appointment is necessary. If the physician thinks cannabis is right for your health and wellness goals, they will discuss treatment options and will grant you a downloadable certification document. Heally’s Telehealth platform currently serves California, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, and Ohio with medical recommendations. Please note if the doctor does not believe the video visit meets her or his standard of care, you will not be charged. If you do not live in a medically legal state and would like access to CBD products, visit the Marketplace. Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org