Hormones weren’t discovered until 1902. However, people have been treating the symptoms of hormone imbalances for thousands of years. With modern medical science, we now understand that these substances play a vital role in virtually every function of the human body.
Because they’re so important to functioning properly, even a mild hormonal imbalance can have heavy repercussions. People with hormone imbalances can experience a variety of symptoms, such as feeling low energy, sleeplessness, or depression. Therefore, if someone is experiencing seemingly unexplained symptoms, it may be possible that they’re weathering a hormone imbalance. In this guide, we cover several ways to balance your hormones naturally.
First, What Are Hormones?
Hormones are a class of molecules that give parts of the body instructions.
They’re produced by glands, and they play a role in regulating a wide range of body functioning, including:
Too much or too little of a given hormone can cause issues, interrupting the body’s functioning. For example, melatonin regulates the circadian rhythm. Too much leads to increased drowsiness, while on the other hand, too little may result in insomnia.
Some other hormones in humans include:
- Thyroxine and triiodothyronine, regulate metabolism.
- Insulin affects the intake of glucose and lipids and the synthesis of triglycerides.
- Adrenaline regulates the fight-or-flight response.
- Testosterone and estradiol, are the major sex hormones.
Moreover, there are many other hormones, responsible for a wide range of effects.
Bodies Out of Balance: Hormone Imbalance Symptoms
Even a small hormonal imbalance can cause the system to stop working as it should.
In most cases, too much or too little of a hormone can cause problems. Too little will often look like the inverse of the too-much scenario. For example, If someone has too little insulin, consequently, their blood sugar will remain high. If someone has too much insulin, however, they’ll likely experience hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.
In hyperthyroidism, an overactive thyroid gland produces too much of the metabolism-regulating hormones. As a result, this causes a person to lose weight and feel hungry. Conversely, in hypothyroidism, the person may gain weight, show poor appetite, and feel tired.
Symptoms of a hormone imbalance often seem similar at first glance. People may:
- Gain or lose weight
- Feel tired
- Experience mood changes, such as anxiety or depression.
- Have sleep irregularities, like insomnia
- Experience digestive troubles
- Notice changes in sex drive
At first, a hormone imbalance may not seem very serious, although it does affect people’s daily lives and their sense of well-being. Hormone imbalances can lead to more serious illnesses, such as diabetes, chronic high blood pressure, osteoporosis, and infertility.
Causes of Hormone Imbalances
There are many reasons someone might develop a hormone imbalance. Some of them include:
- Stress and anxiety
- Being overweight
- Improper diet and nutrition
- Eating disorders
- Medications, including birth control pills
Additionally, in women, hormonal changes can result from pregnancy, breastfeeding, menstruation, and menopause.
How to Balance Hormones Naturally
Knowledge about hormones is relatively recent. However, people have been living with the symptoms of hormone imbalances for thousands of years. They’ve also been treating those same imbalances for millennia.
1. Ashwagandha Root
Adaptogen herbs have been relied on for traditional healing for some time. Even modern scientific research suggests they could help balance hormones naturally.
One adaptogen herb, in particular, ashwagandha root, has been shown to have many beneficial uses when it comes to regulating hormones. It can help reduce anxiety and depression, which can throw hormones out of balance.
Studies also show that ashwagandha root can also improve thyroid function. The thyroid gland releases thyroxine and triiodothyronine hormones, which as a result, regulate metabolism.
Finally, this healing root can support adrenal glands. One major function of the adrenal glands is to regulate cortisol, which helps you respond to stress.
When taking ashwagandha, aim to take 500-600 mg of high-concentration full-spectrum Ashwagandha root extract.
2. Other plants that help balance hormones naturally:
- Holy basil also regulates cortisol. Additionally, it seems to be effective against pollutants and heavy metals, which can contribute to hormone imbalances.
- Clary sage is shown to have antidepressant effects.
- Rhodiola can also fight stress and depression.
- Medicinal mushrooms.
3. Essential oils can also be used to help balance hormones naturally:
- Lavender promotes sleep and emotional balance.
- Sandalwood has numerous effects, including increased libido, stress reduction, and more.
- Thyme has been connected to progesterone production, which can reduce depression, insomnia, and infertility.
4. Diet plays a major role. be sure to get enough:
- Vitamin D, can act as a hormone on its own and affect mood and inflammation.
- Healthy fats can reduce insulin resistance.
- Omega-3 fats can regulate levels of insulin, cortisol, and epinephrine.
- Avoid sugar and refined carbohydrates.
5. Getting enough sleep and exercising regularly are also important steps to balancing hormones.
- Get your circadian rhythm cycles in check and try to wake and sleep around the same time each day.
- Taking a short 10-minute walk after eating lunch helps aid digestion and gets the blood flowing.
- Lastly, Meditate!
Can Cannabis Balance Hormones Naturally?
Another option for people looking to bring their hormones and bodies back into balance could be cannabis, particularly the cannabinoids CBD and THC.
CBD and the cannabinoid THCV have some effects on insulin levels. Notably, CBD and THC have also been linked to the sleep-wake cycle, therefore helping people get to sleep sooner and stay asleep longer.
Some studies have also linked CBD to drops in blood pressure and anxiety. Furthermore, researchers have also connected CBD to libido as well. In other words, they’re suggested to regulate sex hormones, which may help with several hormonal imbalances.
Tip the Scales in Your Favor with these Natural Products
For those who need relief from PMS, cramps, or other menstrual-related discomforts, there’s this hormone-balancing blend. Begin rolling this CBD formula on the abdomen three days before Aunt Flo’s visit for the best results.
Designed to relieve aches and pains, this herbal balm from Humble Flower Co. also includes clary sage and lavender. Combined with CBD, it’s a triple threat for hormone imbalances.
Other cannabinoids, including THC, THCV, and CBN, can also help bring hormones back into line.
This popular South African Sativa is high in THCV, which may help regulate insulin.
For those who like to sip tea, this is an excellent choice. This tea is infused with THC and CBN, which are known to help with sleep disorders like insomnia.
Don’t Leave Health Hanging in the Balance
If you’ve been experiencing unexplained symptoms like weight gain, insomnia, or fatigue, it might be a hormone imbalance. Consult with a medical marijuana doctor to see if a cannabis product could be right for you.
Medical marijuana aka. cannabis should be used under the direction of a licensed healthcare provider. This site is intended for adults and legal medical marijuana patients and contains links to products we sell on our marketplace.
How does Heally work?
Creating an account is easy, free, and safe in our HIPAA compliant platform. Visit with a doctor from the comfort of your home or on the go using your cell phone or computer. No appointment is necessary. If the physician thinks cannabis is right for your health and wellness goals, they will discuss treatment options and will grant you a downloadable certification document. Heally’s Telehealth platform currently serves California, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, and Ohio with medical recommendations. Please note there’s no charge if the doctor doesn’t believe the video visit meets her or his standard of care. If you do not live in a medically legal state and would like access to CBD products, visit the CBD Marketplace. We ship CBD products nationwide without a doctor’s recommendation. Questions? Contact us at email@example.com