Men today are more concerned about how they can protect their health than ever before. For decades, people have thought that using cannabis was bad for a man’s sexual health. Now, new evidence is showing that just the opposite could be true. Cannabis, combined with lifestyle changes, can play a key role in men’s sexual health.
Men’s Sexual Health Concerns and Their Causes
Until recently, much of the work around sexual health and infertility has been focused on women. However, there are also a number of conditions and factors that affect men, such as:
- Erectile dysfunction (ED) – Prevents a man from getting and maintaining an erection. Although it’s mostly associated with older men, ED can affect men of any age.
- Low sperm count – Has a number of causes, ranging from stress and obesity to exposure to radiation and harmful chemicals.
- Hormone imbalances – The production of testosterone declines as men age, which can affect sexual health and overall health. Hormone imbalances have many causes, and their effects include lower sperm count and reduced sexual desire.
While low sperm count and ED are relative to a man’s sexual health, these conditions are often reflective of one’s overall lifestyle and can be overcome naturally by making small changes.
Cannabis Connects to Men’s Sexual Health
Where does cannabis fit into a healthy lifestyle for men? Research done in the 1980s suggested that cannabis did more harm than good when it came to sexual health.
More recent research paints a very different picture. In a 2019 study, men who had used cannabis even once had higher sperm counts than men who had never used cannabis. This suggests that, while chronic use may not be good for men’s fertility, cannabis could actually help with sperm production given the right dosage.
The Role of THC and CBD
There is much debate about whether THC could be responsible for lower sperm counts in men, but CBD, by contrast, may actually support sperm production. In this sense, CBD may balance out the effects of THC. However, THC on its own has benefits for men’s sexual health as well, such as assisting with stress and sleep.
There are a few reasons why researchers think that cannabis and CBD, in particular, could support men’s sexual function. Some evidence suggests that CBD could slow the breakdown of testosterone and aid in testosterone production, a key hormone in male sexual health.
CBD also acts as a muscle relaxant. This effect could be helpful to those with ED, since achieving an erection relies on the relaxation of the smooth muscles of the corpora cavernosa.
Some research even suggests that cannabis and CBD could lower blood pressure. Cardiovascular disease is associated with conditions like ED, so cannabis could offer some relief.
Finally, cannabis (THC & CBD) has been reportedly linked to increased sexual desire and sexual pleasure for many couples as well.
With a wide variety of products available, it’s easy to incorporate CBD into your lifestyle to promote sexual health.
A CBD massage oil delivers post-workout benefits for sore muscles. Relax with your partner by giving them a massage. Not only will the CBD help with any muscle tension or pain, but massages are perfect for segueing into a fun-filled night.
Available in two flavors, Select CBD’s Relax vape pens are an easy way to bust stress in your hectic life. These pens use the purest CBD extracts to make sure that you get the most out of your CBD dose. Inhalation is quick acting, so you can be well on your way to relaxation at any time.
A blend of CBD and THC can also support sexual health for men. Some research suggests that THC and CBD work better together in supporting men’s health.
Girl Scout Cookies (GSC) is a popular Indica-dominant strain renowned for putting users into a comfy, relaxed state. GSC is perfect for those looking to take the edge off and ease into a night of fun.
Papa & Barkley’s organic, full-spectrum products are an effective way to relieve pain and stress. With a 3:1 ratio of CBD and THC, this topical balm could help you soothe away aches and pains. THC topicals are highly recommended for intimate encounters.
Possible contributing factors for poor sexual health
Cause 1: Nutrient deficiencies
Have you been eating right and getting enough sunlight? Even seemingly healthy men can suffer from poor sexual health because of a nutrient deficiency. Nutrient deficiencies can lead to reduced desire, hormone imbalances, and chronic fatigue, and diet can also contribute to other health issues, such as obesity, cardiovascular disease, and hypertension. Studies have shown that not getting enough Vitamin D can cause ED as well, so make sure you take your vitamins and supplements!
Cause 2: Insulin Resistance
While you may not be overweight, you may still suffer from insulin resistance. Insulin resistance occurs when the body’s cells fail to recognize insulin in the bloodstream, often resulting in an overproduction of it. Studies have shown that insulin resistance can impact and contribute to ED. In fact, in younger populations, insulin resistance is an independent determining factor in erectile function as well.
Cause 3: Sleep apnea
Do you snore a lot when you sleep? If so, your snoring may be affecting your partner in more ways than you think. Snoring is one of the symptoms of sleep apnea, a sleeping disorder that affects an estimated 22 million Americans each year, with most cases left undiagnosed. Sleep apnea is a serious medical condition where one’s breathing stops periodically during sleep because of a lack of space in the airway. This can result in a reduction of sleep quality, lowered testosterone levels, and more severe complications if left unchecked. Studies have shown that men with sleep apnea have higher reported rates of ED as well.
Making the Change: A Holistic Approach to Men’s Sexual Health
Food is the backbone of a balanced lifestyle, and men are turning to the virility diet to increase their sexual health. The key is to incorporate foods that can increase nitric oxide production, which will amplify the necessary blood flow for an erection.
Power Foods for Virility
Oysters have always been touted as an aphrodisiac. While it’s true that raw oysters do indeed increase a man’s virility, here are some lesser known foods to support men’s health:
- Nuts: Walnuts, pistachios, and almonds offer amino acids that can support heart health and increase blood flow.
- Fruits: Watermelons contain citrulline to increase nitric oxide production, while dark cherries and berries can help to cleanse the blood of impurities to increase blood flow. The potassium in bananas relaxes blood vessels and is shown to lower blood pressure as well.
- Healthy Fats: Grass-fed butter provides K2 vitamins that can support a healthy heart function, and olive oil has been shown to increase testosterone production.
- Fish: The omega-3 fatty acids in salmon offer three times the increase in nitric oxide, and oysters are high in zinc which increases testosterone levels.
Herbs to Support Men’s Sexual Health
Adding these herbs and spices to your diet can help support male virility and sexual health.
- Chocolate can help increase blood flow by dilating the blood vessels. Only 1.6 ounces daily, the equivalent of a chocolate bar, will help and is a delicious treat to add to your daily regime.
- Spices, including garlic, ginger, and nutmeg increases blood flow. Nutmeg has also been shown to increase libido.
- Ginseng is well known for reducing stress and boosting energy levels.
- Horny goat weed has been used in traditional Eastern medicine to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Ginkgo biloba promotes blood circulation and protects the brain.
Sexual Health Supplements
Supplements are an easy way to support men’s sexual health by precise, and convenient dosages. Supplements that are known to support men’s virility and libido include:
- DHEA: dehydroepiandrosterone is safe and effective at treating erectile dysfunction.
- L-arginine: is found to increase blood flow. While found in abundances in walnuts, L-arginine is also available in a supplement.
- Propionyl-L-carnitine: coupled with the popular erectile dysfunction medication, Viagra, will amplify the results.
Healthy Lifestyle Habits for Men
Since a combination of factors including stress, sleep, and nutrition play a great role in men’s sexual health, small lifestyle changes in one of these areas can have a powerful impact.
- Improve sleep. A solid sleep routine, such as going to bed at the same time every night, could improve sexual health.
- Reduce stress. Finding ways to relieve chronic stress will improve not only your sexual health, but your general well-being too. Meditation, yoga, and other activities can be excellent ways to reduce stress in your life.
Get Expert Advice from a Doctor
While making small positive lifestyle changes is almost always a good idea, it can be beneficial to talk to a doctor before you make a change. Sexual health can be affected by other underlying issues as well, so in many cases, it may be best to consult with a medical professional.
Scheduling doctor’s appointments can be a pain, but luckily, Heally makes it simple and convenient to get the help you need. Doctors are up late in some states, so you can connect with a physician today.
Medical marijuana aka cannabis should be used under the direction of a licensed healthcare provider. This site is intended for adults and legal medical marijuana patients. This site contains links to products we sell on our marketplace.
How does Heally work?
Creating an account is easy, free, and safe in our HIPAA compliant platform. Visit with a doctor from the comfort of your home or on the go using your cell phone or computer. No appointment is necessary. If the physician thinks cannabis is right for your health and wellness goals, they will discuss treatment options and will grant you a downloadable certification document. Heally’s Telehealth platform currently serves California, Connecticut, Florida, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, and Ohio with medical recommendations. Please note there’s no charge if the doctor doesn’t believe the video visit meets her or his standard of care. If you do not live in a medically legal state and would like access to CBD products, visit the CBD Marketplace. We ship CBD products nationwide without a doctor’s recommendation. Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org