An eczema is a group of skin conditions that can lead to itchy and inflamed skin. While there can be many causes of eczema, there are equally as many holistic treatments for eczema that include homeopathic treatments, lifestyle changes, and supplements to help you control and manage your symptoms.
What is eczema?
Eczema is the name for a group of dermatological conditions that can occur in both adults and children.
Common symptoms of eczema include:
- Itchy skin
- Dry, sensitive skin
- Inflamed or discolored skin
- Rough, leathery, or scaly patches of skin
- Oozing or crusting or swelling of the area
Types of Eczema
Seven types of eczema can occur. These include:
- Atopic dermatitis – a chronic condition causing redness and itching; may be accompanied by asthma or hayfever
- Contact dermatitis – caused by direct contact with an irritant or substance that causes a red, itchy rash
- Dyshidrotic eczema – specific to the hands and feet this type of eczema causes small, fluid-filled blisters
- Nummular eczema – round patches of red, brown, or pink lesions that may itch, burn or ooze fluid
- Seborrheic dermatitis – affecting primarily the scalp and face, seborrheic dermatitis causes dandruff, red skin, and scaly patches
- Stasis dermatitis – occurs in the legs and feet due to poor circulation and can cause redness or ashen color of the skin, itching, scaling and a heavy, achy feeling that can occur after long periods of sitting or standing
When does it occur?
Eczema occurs when the body cannot naturally regulate the skin’s moisture, circulation, and bacteria. This may be caused by genetics, environmental factors, and even food allergies.
Common eczema triggers:
- Stress can cause inflammation in the system and exacerbate chronic eczema
- Exposure to certain metals, outdoor elements, or synthetic chemicals
- Temperature changes, including seasonality, can affect eczema outbreaks
Holistic Treatments for Eczema
While the common medical treatment for eczema and dermatitis can be topical steroid creams, many people seek more holistic treatment for skin conditions. These fall into three main categories: natural treatments, lifestyle changes, and supplements.
1. Natural Treatments for Eczema
Treating eczema naturally means addressing both acute symptoms and the underlying triggers that can cause an outbreak.
One of the most common triggers of eczema is stress. Stress raises the cortisol levels in the body, which over time can create an inflammatory response that can exacerbate those living with eczema.
Adding a relaxation regime into your daily routine is vital to naturally managing stress. Relaxation techniques include:
- Acupuncture and Acupressure
- Hypnosis for stress reduction
Homeopathy Treatments for eczema use a low dose of natural plants, minerals, and animals to create a similar response to a condition. In eczema, the goal is to reduce the symptoms and prevent triggers over time. Homeopathy treatments are usually taken orally in a tablet form that can be one to two doses.
Ultraviolet Light Treatment
For eczema that is resistant to topical treatments, ultraviolet light treatment, or phototherapy, is oftentimes the next step in treatment. Using ultraviolet B (UVB) light, the area is exposed for seconds to minutes during the treatment. Patients may expect to see relief using phototherapy after one to two months of continuous treatment.
2. Lifestyle Changes
Prevention of eczema can often be managed with lifestyle changes that include:
- Moisturize the skin at least twice a day
- Limit baths or showers to not more than 15 minutes of warm (not hot) water
- Dry yourself fully
- Use only gentle or mild soaps
- Wear loose-fitting cotton clothing
Eczema can oftentimes be exacerbated by perfumes and synthetic ingredients. Many people find relief by creating their skincare products. Try natural DIY skincare recipes you can make at home to help reduce topical eczema.
Topical applications are a holistic treatment for eczema that can help to soothe the itch and rash, restore moisture or reduce dermatitis that causes bacteria on the skin.
Natural topical supplements include:
- CBD Topicals
- Colloidal Oatmeal
- Evening Primrose Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Sunflower Oil
- Witch Hazel
- Calendula Cream
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Aloe Vera Gel
Holistic Products to Treat Eczema
- Seven Minerals Magnesium Oil with Aloe Vera (12 fl oz) – This topical oil contains high-quality magnesium oil sourced from the Great Salt Lake and complemented with aloe vera to soothe eczema.
- Gaia Herbs (Professional Solutions): Curcuma NF-kB: Turmeric Supreme (120 capsules) – turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory that when taken orally can reduce inflammation in the system that can lead to eczema breakouts. These extra-strength turmeric capsules provide a potent punch.
Find a Holistic Eczema Treatment Specialist
Eczema can be a stubborn chronic condition that can be treated naturally. If you are interested in taking a holistic approach, consult with a holistic eczema treatment specialist to get started on the right path to relieve your symptoms. Heally makes it easy to connect eczema treatment specialists and patients through their telehealth platform. Schedule your appointment today.